-
July 4th, 2004, 05:51 PM
#1
Inactive Member
This started yesterday, it seems that when I try to download something the File Download box appears but the 'estimated time left', 'download to' and 'transfer rate' are all blank but the picture with the paper flying from the earth and slipping into an envelope is still moving.
Then a short while after a box appears saying: 'Internet Explorer cannot download *spywareblastersetup.exe from *files1.majorgeeks.com.
Internet Explore was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot. Please try again later.'
If I download anything at all, the same box appears with only the places with the * changed. I have a serious spyware and adware problem because Ad-aware doesn't seem to be very effective anymore so I was wondering if the dowloading problem was because of that?
Well, this means I can't download any other programs to delete the spyware and adware...what a mess. T.To
If anyone can help then I would be very grateful! Thank you for reading this very long post! ^^o
PS- In the 'Change and Remove' box, some unwanted programs have been added (because of spyware and adware) and I was able to remove them by clicking 'change/remove' but now it seems they won't be removed when I click it.
-
July 6th, 2004, 01:37 AM
#2
Inactive Member
you may wanna update your Ad-aware program. If you're using the one provided by Lavasoft. Just click the webupdate button to download the lastest file. I think that should be able to catch most of your bugs. Or type in your problem into google and you can find some sites that tell you how to remove them manually. Good Luck~!
-
July 6th, 2004, 10:32 PM
#3
Inactive Member
*smiles* Thank you so much for replying and suggesting an answer! The updating part helped quite alot, it was able to detect over 300 evil things!^^o The thing is though...it still doesn't cure the downloading problem. Oh well, what can you do? ^_^
I've posted on this Computer Problem help site...I hope I get a reply! *crosses fingers* Thank you again for your help! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] *hopes it'll be cured before next sc.net update* ^^
-
July 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Okay, here's a question--do you have any other software at all on your comp that can be used for downloading stuff? An FTP program (most versions of Windows since '95 have a command-line FTP utility--search on FTP in Windows Help if you can)? A download manager that can act independently? Can these programs still download?
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ July 07, 2004 11:53 AM: Message edited by: The Crystal Gryphon ]</font>
-
July 7th, 2004, 06:32 PM
#5
Inactive Member
While searching about FTP on the elp, I was able to find that topic. It stands for File Transfer Protocol, right? It says that FTP can be used interactively or in batch mode by processing ASCII text files.
I have WinZip if that helps at all. The FTP seems to be stated in the help search, does this mean that it's located in my computer or that I should get it? O_o I haven't seen any programs labelled FTP anywhere yet....^^;;
I hope that helped a little...^^
-
July 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Okay, I screwed that up a bit. Let me back up and try to break things down into smaller pieces.
I don't recognize the specific problem you're having (I'm a programmer, not a tech support being), but clearly something's wrong with either IE or your connection itself.
If the problem is with IE (which is quite likely--as with most other Microsoft products, most versions of IE are riddled with security holes that make them easy targets for virii and other malware), the easiest way to get around it for long enough to at least download Spybot and an anti-virus program if you don't have one already, and chase away whatever malware Ad-aware may have missed . . . is to use another browser. So I should have *first* asked whether you had another browser on your computer (Netscape, Mozilla, Lynx, what have you), and if so, can *it* still download? (The reason I asked about FTP is that, if you've got an FTP program, you can use it to *get* another browser.)
If you still can't download using a non-IE browser, the problem is at some lower level, in which case the first thing to try is reinstalling modem drivers, connectivity software, etc.
Or you could just wait until Risu-chan clears enough time in her schedule to read these kinds of threads again, since she's more likely to be able to recognize the specific problem and offer a real solution to it than I am. ;P
Gryphon, who would have stayed out of this if it had looked like anyone else had useful ideas.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks